August 23, 2006

Sidi bou Said: Dar El Annabi

On the main street, as you walk, you will come across this house.

The house was contructed in 18th century and is maintained till date. Dar El Annabi, introduces you to the spacious Arabic Islamis Architecture.

This visit was one visit which opened me to old Tunisian lifestyle. It also remided me of my ancestral house in Punjab, which we have sold off long back. I could find lot of similarities in this house and my ancestral house. The way floors were designed, the way stairs were decorated and the office with old world charm.

The library/office space took me back in time into my childhood as it was similar to my father's office as recent as around 25 years back.



Dar El Annabi: This is a place where the guests were recieved on important occasions. Shown in the picture is the wax model exhibit in the traditional costumes.


Dar El Annabi: A beautiful view of the entrance, where you buy tickets.


Dar El Annabi: In the courtyard, stairs that lead you to terrace and other rooms. Once you are on the terrace, don't forget to check the panaromic view of the Gulf of Tunis.


Dar El Annabi: A pathway inside the house


Dar El Annabi: Way to go up in one of the rooms of the house. Notice the design on the floor and the stairs against white background.


Dar El Annabi: Notice the design on the door.


Dar El Annabi: When I saw this room, I was amazed at the arrangement of colors. However, due to insufficeint light, and with no tripod, I could capture the real beauty of the colors. This room had a serene effect on me.


Dar El Annabi: Inside view of a room


Dar El Annabi: Notice the beauty of Arab Islamic style.


Dar El Annabi: This office space reminded me of the ol world charm of my father's office. You will find some well preserved copies of news papers dating back to 19th century, few old books and there was a separate room for assistants. The whole office took me back in time and I remembered childhood days when I spent most of my evenings and holidays playing in and around my father's office.


Dar El Annabi: A shop inside selling traditional handicrafts and paintings.

No comments: